Tuesday, March 29, 2011

The Invention of Solitary Confinement

Another great post from Prison Photography about the Invention of Solitary Confinement.  He starts with this puncturing quote from Charles Dickens who was obsessed with prisons; 


"I hold this slow and daily tampering with the mysteries of the brain to be immeasurably worse than any torture of the body”
- Charles Dickens, American Notes, (Harper & Brothers, 1842) p. 39



I don't know about you, but I need people in my life.  Despite my love of alone time, time to get creative and crazy in my own head, I know that I wouldn't be the man I am without those that surround me.  

Find below a short video about the first penitentiary (because the prisoners were meant to become penitent) to focus solely on solitary confinement.  And whats interesting is it originally was meant to be a more gentle rehab. Penn Commonwealth strived to create a system different from the harsh and cruel realities of the European prison system. Pennsylvania presumed all men/women were good at heart, and by separating the individual from the sins of society they could be rehabilitated.  Unfortunately they were quite wrong, and worse still it took YEARS for them to admit or even recognize their misgivings

Also check out the blog for more info


No comments:

Post a Comment