Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Small victory for Greenpeace

I am a sucker for people standing outside supermarkets, malls, gas stations, basically, I am a sucker.  I tend to actually stop and let them "inform" me of the troubles our world faces, whether it be hunger, children, animals, or all of them, I will listen...and many times donate.  Its hard for me to not feel like I can afford $10 here, $20 there, when I know I can easily spend that in a night out drinking with friends.

Enough preaching for now.... I got my weekly email from Greenpeace today briefly mentioning a victory for them in the Japanese Whaling Industry and I thought I would share it with you.  If you have ever seen Whale Wars, then you know of Greenpeace's effort in Japan, and today there was a bit of forward progress.  The Japanese Fishing Agency publicly announced today that they received whale meat as "gifts" from private companies contracted by the government to slaughter whales.  One member of the agency even bowed in an effort to apologize to the public (seen below).  Although only 5 officials were charged with corruption, bringing this to the public will hopefully help to continue the fight.  




No comments:

Post a Comment